Mark A - January 1949 to April 1951
The Mark A was introduced. A 2/3 seater Tourer with an aluminium, stressed skin body fitted with a Perspex windscreen. The single front wheel was driven by a Villiers 10D, 122cc air-cooled engine and a 3 speed direct change gearbox (no reverse). Steering was by a cable and bobbin arrangement whilst starting was achieved by means of a handle mounted under the dash panel and connected by cables to a modified kick-starter on the engine. There were trailing link front forks, rigid mounted rear wheels and a cable and brake rod system that operated the rear brakes only. A 2½ gallon petrol tank was fitted, along with 6 volt rectified lighting, a manually operated windscreen wiper and "Goodyear" low pressure 16" x 4" tyres - interchangeable all round. Front lighting was by two external head and side lamps of 12 / 3 watt capacity mounted on either side of the body. Rear lighting was by a single, centrally mounted tail lamp with a 3 / 3 watt double filament bulb. No brake light was fitted.
The Deluxe Tourer was identical but had the Villiers 6E, 197cc engine, a marked gear quadrant on the dashboard, a floor-mounted starting handle, engine mixture control, outside driving mirror and a spare wheel. An electric windscreen wiper was fitted as standard but could be specified at extra cost for the Standard Tourer.
An improved Deluxe Tourer was introduced. A Triplex glass windscreen replaced the Perspex type and used heavier windscreen pillars with sidescreens fitted on the outside. (The Perspex windscreen was still retained for the Standard model.) A rack and pinion steering replaced the cable and bobbin variety for all models.
Chassis Number Range: A/1/1 to C/4/1973