Mark A
Mark B
Mark C
Mark D
Mark E
Mark F
Mark G
Equipe
875
Bug
Scooters
Production
Statistics

Equipe - May 1963 to August 1970


Vehicle Modifications By Chassis Number

Date

Chassis Number

Details of modifications and changes in specification

MAY 1963

O/5/101

The GT 2+2 was introduced. This was a sports saloon based on the Triumph Herald chassis. It had all-independent suspension, front disc brakes and the Mark I Spitfire 1147 cc engine fitted with twin carburettors. The body utilised the Herald floor, bulkhead, windscreen and doors with the roof, rear body and front, forward hinging, bonnet being designed and manufactured by Bond. The front had an oval mesh grille and rectangular side flasher lights below single headlamps. From the windscreen, the roof sloped rearwards to finish with three separate, round, rear lights each side of the number plate. There was no external opening boot lid and luggage access was from inside with the rear seat folded down. Pre-production and very early production vehicles had fixed,non-opening, rear side windows.
Length 12' 11", width 5' 0", height 4' 5", wheelbase 7' 7½".
Colours initially available: Signal Red, British Racing Green, Dover White, Powder Blue andOpalescent Silver Grey. The first production FYL at an Equipe Rally in 1991 - click to enlargeGT was Opalescent Silver Grey, with the registration number 516 FYL. Price was £822 4s 7d (£822.23p), which also included £142 4s 7d (£142.23p) purchase tax.

TCK last seen in Paignton, Devon in 1988 - click to enlargeNOTE: It is believed that at least seven pre-production cars were built prior to MAY 1963 with the registration numbers SRN 999 (Signal Red), SRN 998 (Powder Blue), SRN 990 (British Racing Green), TCK 888 (Dover White), TCK 300 (Signal Red), TCK 301 (Powder Blue) and TCK 302 (unknown, maybe Opalescent Silver Grey).

SEPT 1963

O/9/176

A full rear floor was fitted.

OCT 1963

O/10/193

Standard White was substituted for Dover White.

OCT 1963

O/10/207

A “Motor Show” vehicle, body colour Opalescent Silver Grey. Registration number believed to be UCK 368

OCT 1963

O/10/211

A “Motor Show” vehicle, body colour Cherry Red.

OCT 1963

O/10/223

The angle of the door pillar was altered.

OCT 1963

O/10/242

Positive lock catches were fitted to the rear quarter lights in place of the friction type. Wedgwood Blue was substituted for Powder Blue.

OCT 1963

O/10/247

A mechanical stop lamp switch was fitted in place of the oil type switch.

OCT 1963

O/10/248

Cherry Red was substituted for Signal Red.

OCT 1963

O/10/255

Rear springs with a modified “set” were fitted.

JUN 1964

P/6/492

This vehicle was fitted with a Mark II Spitfire engine and tested on 26th September 1964. Body colour Cherry Red. (Also fitted with a Mark II engine were 534 and 542, Cherry Red and Conifer Green respectively.)

JUN 1964

P/6/508

The bulkhead was modified - ref. the heater outlet.

SEPT 1964

P/9/533

The solid prop. shaft and a gearbox tie rod were refitted.

SEPT 1964

P/9/1001

Sales brochure picture - click to enlargeThe GT4S was introduced. Mechanics and chassis were as for the GT. 2+2, but with a restyled bodywork, giving increased headroom for the rear seat passengers. It also featured a “sawn-off” rear end with an opening boot lid, twin headlamps and a slatted grille of five horizontal bars. A higher output C40-L dynamo and a RB340 control box were fitted (except 1003 and 1006). Length was increased to 13' 4".
Colours available: Conifer Green, Cherry Red, Wedgwood Blue and Standard White.
A price tag of £817 3s 9d (£817.18p) included £142 3s 9d (£142.18p) purchase tax.

OCT 1964

P/10/544

The GT 2+2 was discontinued. The last produced was Standard White, tested on 31st October 1964. The last recorded price of £786 19s 7d (£786.98p) had decreased from the original due to changes in the rate of purchase tax – down to £136 19s 7d (£136.98p).

NOV 1964

P/11/1010

A baffle was fitted in the petrol tank.

NOV 1964

P/11/1017

The “Les Leston” steering wheel was fitted.

NOV 1964

P/11/1023

The flasher unit was repositioned on the bulkhead (rear of the battery) and a heater outlet deflector plate was fitted (immediately above gearbox cover).

NOV 1964

P/11/1027

A large boot stay was fitted (from the boot lid to the floorboard).

DEC 1964

P/12/1049

A rubber seal was fitted to curtail the overflow of water into the boot (top edge of the aperture flange).

FEB 1965

Q/2/1148

The front seat base tubes were welded in position (to reduce seat creak).

FEB 1965

Q/2/1184

The Mark II Spitfire engine was introduced. The Standard Triumph exhaust pipe assembly had to be extended by 2" (to give the silencer clearance from the chassis members at the forward end) and an additional support was fitted from the rear of the gearbox. A hazard sign on the underside of the spare wheel cover was now included and the front wheels were balanced.

MAR 1965

Q/3/1225

The “pull off” coil spring was removed from the clutch pedal.

APR 1965

Q/4/1294

A full metal bulkhead was fitted between the boot compartment and the inside of the car.

APR 1965

Q/4/1322

Castrol “Storage” oil was used in the engines. (Topping up was not recommended - drain at first the service.)

JUN 1965

Q/6/1484

A new housing for the horn push was introduced. This had a Bakelite boss, including a brass extension piece, for the horn contact on the “Les Leston” steering wheel.

JUN 1965

Q/6/1515

Wire wheels were introduced as an optional extra and cost £30 5s 0d (£30.25p)

JUL 1965

Q/7/1546

A strap drive prop. shaft was fitted in place of the solid prop. shaft.

AUG 1965

Q/8/1595

A metal dynamo pulley was fitted in place of the Bakelite type pulley.

AUG 1965

Q/8/1621

The steering shaft flexible coupling bolts were changed from ¼" to 5/16".

AUG 1965

Q/8/1633

A water drain tap was fitted to the engine block in place of the blanking plug.

SEPT 1965

Q/9/1735

The clutch slave cylinder to bell housing bolts were changed from 5/16" to ¼". (To allow the cylinder to be repositioned slightly, improving the operation of the clutch.)

SEPT 1965

Q/9/1758

A solid prop. shaft and the inclusion of a gearbox tie rod, was fitted in place of the strap drive prop. shaft.

OCT 1965

Q/10/1793

Cactus Green officially replaced Conifer Green.

OCT 1965

Q/10/1809

Golden Sand introduced.

OCT 1965

Q/10/1813

Antifreeze was added to all radiators.

OCT 1965

Q/10/1819

All bolts and fitments on the bulkhead tray, including the heater box securing bolts, were now sealed. (To eliminate ingress of water to the inside of the car.)

OCT 1965

Q/10/1859

The rain channel above the front windscreen header rail was modified. (To eliminate the rain channel and to enable the metal nib to be clenched around the edge of the glass fibre.)

NOV 1965

Q/11/1935

A revised Service Voucher book, along with the Bond three-part Customer Preparation Service and Warranty form was supplied.

NOV 1965

Q/11/1937

An 11 leaf rear spring was fitted in place of the 8 leaf spring. (Also to 1935)

DEC 1965

Q/12/2012

The Instruction book, Service Voucher book and Bond three-part Service/warranty form were now supplied in a plastic bag.

JAN 1966

R/1/2093

The clutch slave cylinder was changed from 5/8" dia. to 7/8" dia. The “rat trap” spring was removed from the clutch pedal and the pull-off coil spring refitted.

FEB 1966

R/2/2145

The Triplex heated rear window was introduced as an optional extra and cost £18 2s 6d (£18.13p)

APR 1966

R/4/2349

A Weathershields sunroof was offered as an optional extra and cost £29 10s 0d (£29.50p)

JUN 1966

R/6/2637

This vehicle was without an engine number, colour or test date but was recorded as being for Standard Triumph International, New Zealand. No other details are known.

OCT 1966

R/10/2837

Quartz Blue officially replaced Wedgwood Blue in the standard colour range.

JAN 1967

S/1/2934

The last chassis number for the GT4S with the Mark II Spitfire 1147 cc engine. Body colour Cherry Red.

FEB 1967

S/2/2935

The introduction of the GT4S 1300. A Mark III Spitfire 1296 cc engine was fitted giving an increase in b.h.p. to 75. The rear suspension was improved and the front disc brake calliper area increased. Map pockets were added to the door trims, a polished walnut gear knob replaced the plastic one and “1300” badges were added to the front wings. The seat belt anchorage points were also upgraded to conform to the latest Ministry of Transport regulations.
New standard colours of Winchester Blue, Dolphin Grey, Signal Red and White replaced all previous colours. (Mark III engines were also fitted to 2886, 2914, 2915, 2917, 2925 and 2930.) Price was £889 3s 6d (£889.18p).

JUL 1967

S/7/3121

This was the last recorded entry in the surviving production records. Tested on 15th July, the body colour was White.

AUG 1967

S/8/4000

Sales brochure picture - click to enlargeThe Mark I, 2 Litre GT Sports Saloon was introduced. A completely new, restyled two-door fastback bodywork (including windscreen and door skins) mounted on the Triumph Vitesse chassis and powered by the 1998 cc, 95 b.h.p. six cylinder engine using an all-synchromesh, four-speed gearbox. Externally, a full width grille with horizontal bars, twin head lamps, wrap-around bumpers, new rear lamps and large rear window. Inside, the Vitesse instrument fascia, new design of front seat trimmed in “Ambla”, a three-spoke leather covered steering wheel and the radio aerial fitted as standard but mounted internally inside the roof.
Length 13' 10", width 5' 1½", height 4' 4½" and wheelbase 7' 7½".
Colours were as GT4S: White, Signal Red, Winchester Blue and Dolphin Grey. (Prairie Beige was substituted for Dolphin Grey on both models of Equipe from the 1967 Motor Show onwards.) Price was £1095 13s 6d (£1095.68p), which included £205 13s 6d (£205.68p) purchase tax.

MAY 1968

T/5/4304

“Ambla” trimmed door cappings and fascia panels with a recessed switch panel replaced the veneered type.

SEPT 1968

T/9/4590

The Mark I was discontinued. The last chassis number.

SEPT 1968

T/9/4591

The Mark II saloon was introduced utilising a new lower-wishbone rear suspension and the engine power increased to 104 b.h.p. Other minor improvements were the “Rostyle” wheel trims, new back seat armrests, larger side pockets and a centre glove compartment.
Colours available initially were Bermuda Blue, Signal Red, Prairie Beige and White, but later Bahama Yellow, Caribbean Green, Manhattan Blue and Satin Silver. The price of £1196 16s 1d (£1196.81p) included £261 16s 1d (£261.81p) purchase tax.

SEPT 1968

T/9/4614 

Sales brochure picture - click to enlargeThe Mark II convertible was introduced. Identical mechanical and interior specification but with a new rear body that allowed the hood to be completely stowed away behind the rear seat. Price initially was £1277 6s 1d (£1277.31p).

FEB 1969

U/2/3???

Due to a serious shortage of rubber padding, the 2 Litre seats were specified for all GT4S vehicles.

AUG 1969

U/8/????

The Triumph door sill tread plates were deleted and a new type in chequered aluminium, made by Bond, were introduced. The Mark II steering wheels were changed to a new type supplied by Clifford Coverings.

JAN 1970

V/1/4???

All 2 Litres were to have the “EQUIPE” and MK II badge deleted and the ciphers “B” “O” “N” “D”, with a new “2 Litre” badge added.

AUG 1970

V/8/3505

The GT4S 1300 was discontinued. The last chassis number.

AUG 1970

V/8/5431

The Mark II saloon and convertible were discontinued. The last chassis number.